Penn Cove Mussels, bacon, and sausage! You know you want this for dinner now! The white wine offers a nice way to offset the big flavors from the other ingredients.
- 1# fresh Penn Cove Mussels
- 1-2 ea leeks, depending on the size, greens cut and discarded, only use the white and light green part, cut them in half and slice them ¼ inch thick
- 4 oz Uli’s bacon and apple sausage, grilled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, picked and chopped
- 1 oz basil, leaves picked and roughly torn
- ¾ cup white wine, I usually like a chardonnay, but anything a little sweet but dry
- 3 Tbls butter, diced
- ¼ canola oil
- ½ tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp se salt
- Baguette, sliced and grilled preferably
- Plenty of aioli per piece of baguette
For the Aioli
- 4 ea egg yolks
- ¼ cup EVO
- ½ cup canola oil
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 ea lemon, juiced
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch of saffron, bloomed in 1/8 cup warm water
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Directions: To Make the Aioli
- Put the garlic, lemon juice, egg yolks, spices and bloomed saffron in a food processor.
- Blend the mixture until the egg yolks become light in color and start to fluff up.
- Slowly add the oils until the mixture is a thick and creamy mayonnaise consistency.
- Season to taste with sea salt and white pepper if needed.
To Make the Rest of the Dish
- In a large sided saute pan, heat the canola oil on medium high.
- Add the leeks, cook until the leeks start to wilt.
- Add the mussels and cook them until they start to open, add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- When the garlic becomes aromatic (about 30 seconds), deglaze with white wine, reduce by 2/3.
- Add the sausage and stir in the butter until it is melted, add the basil at the end so it just opens up.
- Put a good Tbls of the aioli on each piece of bread, you’ll want to stir the aioli with the bread into each dish of mussels, if you grill the bread it will have a nice charred flavor to it.