- 2 pounds mussels
- 10 cups cold water
- 3 ounces of seedless tamarind pulp
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons patis (fish sauce), plus more to taste
- Freshly squeezed lime juice to taste
- 2 thai bird chilies (optional)
- 1 bunch bok choy
Add the onion, fish sauce, tamarind concentrate and water (or fish/vegetable stock) to a pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, and stir periodically. Let it simmer for about 12 minutes. Strain and return the tamarind broth and onion slices to the pot.
Bring the broth to a boil again over medium high heat, then add the tomatoes, radishes, and fish. Cook for about 8 minutes. Add the bok choy and mussels towards the end, and adjust seasoning with more fish sauce if necessary. Divide the fish, vegetables and broth in serving bowls and garnish with chili slices if desired. Serve with rice.