Getting to Coupeville
Coupeville is about a two-hour drive, plus ferry time, from downtown Seattle or Redmond.
To get to Coupeville:
- Take either I-5 or I-405 north
- I-5 drivers will take exit 182 to Mukilteo
- I-405 drivers will continue straight. As I-405 ends, it becomes the highway to Mukilteo.
- Follow the highway through Mukilteo to it's end at the ferry terminal.
- Take the Mukilteo - Clinton ferry onto Whidbey Island.
- Take the main highway, SR 525 north for 28 miles until you reach Coupeville . Just south of Coupeville the name of the highway changes to SR 20, but continue north on it.
From the greater Seattle area drive north on I-5 to Exit 226 in Mt. Vernon. Take SR 536 northwest until it meets SR 20. Drive west on SR 20 for 7 miles. At this point SR 20 makes a turn south. Signs will direct you to Whidbey Island. It is a well-marked intersection with a traffic light. Please note that the left turn bay is often quite full. Continue on SR 20 across Deception Pass Bridge, through Oak Harbor to Coupeville. This route is a longer drive than the ferry route, but if the ferry lines are long, this route can take about the same amount of time.
From the Olympic Peninsula, take any of several routes to Pt. Townsend. The ferry terminal is in at the southern end of the downtown area. Take the ferry to Whidbey Island. Upon disembarking the ferry, turn left. Coupeville is two miles ahead.
Important Information about
Riding the Ferry
Clinton - Mukilteo Ferry
Two ferries sail between Clinton and Mukilteo with departures approximately every 30 minutes from each terminal.
Ferry lines are often quite long in Clinton on Saturday mornings. People wishing to be in Coupeville on Saturday when the tickets go on sale should leave early to accomodate a 30 - 90 minute ferry wait.
Coupeville - Pt. Townsend Ferry
One ferry sails this route during the winter. Crossing time is about 35 minutes, meaning there is a departure about every 90 minutes from the Coupeville and Pt. Townsend terminals. You can make a non-refundable reservation for this ferry. We recommend that you make reservations.
Saturday Bus Service Between the
Clinton Ferry Terminal and Coupeville
Bypass the ferry line! Walk on the ferry and then take the bus to Coupeville.